Settling in

During this first week of my graduate program I have met with my supervisor to discuss the direction of my initial research in his lab. I have been reading up on the latest research into Phytophthora spp and I met with other scientists in the field here at OSU. Initial ideas are for me to study a number of Phytophthora spp on Rhododendrons. I will be studying the epidemiology of the pathogen species in greenhouse and field inoculation experiments. This will hopefully provide a set of comparable data about the similar but different pathogen species and disease development throughout the different seasons of the year in conditions which aim to mimic the commercial nursery environment.

I have been talking to people who have conducted similar studies to learn from them the pitfalls and working methods and modifications to use. I have had a look around the culture lab and the molecular lab. I also visited the farm site where I will be able to carry out field experiments. It is really exciting, there are a whole bunch rhododendron plants waiting for me to use. There is a lot of greenhouse space available both at the lab/office site and at the farm. Also at the farm they have just constructed a gravel lot with a shade structure to shield the potted plants from wind and intense sun in the summer, and this is where I shall be working so I have all this space in which I can design my experiments.

1 comment:

Gwenaƫlle said...

Hi !
I haven't understood everything athough my english is getting better but it seems very interesting and I'm glad to see that you're happy with your new job ! Everything is fine for me, I still have no roommate but new people are expected this week and next week. I've begun this morning my experiment about food preferences of beetles and ladybirds, it's very interesting !
All the best for you.
Gwenaelle, your 1 week roommate !