Starting Grad School

I arrived in Corvallis on Monday this week and I've got all of this week to get myself organised, registered and on the pay roll etc. I have met with my supervisor, department head, and cohort. There are about 12 students beginning a graduate program in the botany and plant pathology department (BPP) this year, some of whom are on Masters and others are on PhD programs, some are on graduate teaching assistantships (GTA's) and others are on graduate research assistantships (GRA's). This indicates the source of funding and the type of work you will be doing. I am working for a PhD on a GRA in a lab working on Phytophthora spp, so my funding comes primarily from the USDA, and my work will lab and field research. I have registered for two classes this term, one in applied statistics and data handling, and the other is an introductory course in mycology (the study of fungi). In addition for the duration of my course I will be attending weekly 1hr seminars which will give me a broad understand in the field of plant pathology.

No comments: