Plant Pathology

During the second year of my biology degree at the University of Nottingham I took the opportunity to study at Oregon State University (OSU) on the biology exchange program between the two schools. While at OSU I was able to take up an internship in a plant pathology laboratory run by Dr Walter Mahaffee. I worked for 6 months alongside a graduate student, Amy Peetz, to assist her in her research. The project I helped with involved a series of controlled environment experiments to assess the effect of temperature on the sporulation of hop powdery mildew caused by Podosphaera macularis. It was a challenging project as there were many environmental variables which had to be controlled in order to get results. During the time that I spent working there we did not complete the project, however I did gather enough data to be able to write a short report.

The report: The Effect of Temperature on Sporulation of Hop Powdery Mildew

No comments: