the first foliar inoculation

Kenny and Kim helped me with the set up which is far too much for one person to do in a day. We set up a little mobile lab bench at the farm to prepare the inoculation caps.

Nik Grunwald visited us while we were setting up, to see how it was going and he took this photo of me inoculating one plant.

Here is how we worked at the table preparing the caps with inoculum and cotton wool.

Here is the end result, hundreds of plants covered in multicoloured caps and clips. I hope some of them get sick.

Now I'm off on a field trip to Hermiston, OR, camping overnight there as part of my plant disease diagnosis class. This weekend I will be analysing the data from the first dip inoculation experiment in the containment chamber so photos of that will be here shortly.

No comments: