My snail had babies!

Apparently these trap door aquatic snails are hermaphroditic, just like garden snails which means that they have both male and female reproductive parts but still have to mate with another snail to reproduce, this means that every snail can have babies, not just females. My snail must have mated prior to me buying it and has now given birth to live young. I only noticed them this morning when I was changing the water and one snail got stuck on the end of the tube I was using to siphon the water up with. They are so small they are about the size of the pebbles, but they still slide around surprisingly fast when they are not hiding in their shells. They can produce up to 8 or so babies, but I may have lost some by not knowing they were there and sucking them up. They take up to 2 years to grow to full size and maturity so it could be a while before I make any more snail babies, however it is also possible for the adult to have saved some of the sperm for a second batch without needing to mate again. We'll see. I'll be on the look out from now on.

No comments: